Eyebright is a very long time regarded as a healing herb eyes, so in many languages skylight name comes from the eyes. Aqueous extracts of the Eyebright herb (infusion, decoction) have anti-inflammatory properties inhibit the release of histamine (a chemical responsible for inflammation and increasing capillary permeability) and prevent excessive expansion of capillaries. Eyebright also acts bactericidal (against staphylococcus and streptococcus), annihilate their toxins, prevents bleeding from small vessels in the eye. Chemical compounds contained in the raw material is iridoid glycoside – aukubin, tannins, phenolic acids (caffeic acid, bread), essential oils, resin compounds, coumarin and minerals containing magnesium and copper. With this combination of chemicals Eyebright is used as a medicament for inflammatory symptoms and sensitization. Aqueous extracts of the Eyebright herb is mainly used:
- conjunctivitis, conjunctivitis and blepharitis, conjunctivitis spring,
- in eye strain caused by artificial lighting, work on the computer and a long reading,
- hypersensitivity to sunlight,
- in excessive flow of tears caused by, for example, allergies or hayfever, the treatment of barley eyelids.
2. Internally, astringent and anti-inflammatory:
- in diseases of the stomach
- liver, digestive disorders, biliary and spines
- in patients with very low blood pressure.
|Drug Eyebright||Euphrasia rostkoviana|
|other names||Augentrostkraut, Euphrasiae herba, Herba Euphrasiae, Herbe d’Euphraise|
|purpose||Staph infection, conjunctivitis|
- CATEGORY Herbs