A few things you do not know about Cistus (rockrose)
Cistus has become in the last decade, a very popular plant herbalist, still to come people who regularly use the infusion of the purge wanting to enjoy the health and well-being. Whence comes this plant, whether it is a discovery of recent years, or perhaps it was also used centuries ago, what are the real characteristics infusion of Cistus and where did the popularity of the brew – that you will learn from our article.
Most often used in herbal Gray rockrose or Cistus incanus L. belongs to the genus that counts for a total of a dozen species naturally occurring in the region of the Mediterranean and East Asia. Species belonging to the genus Cistus often create hybrids, so it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between them, there are also problems with nomenclature. All rockroses are small shrubs that produce characteristic flowers with crumpled petals from white to dark pink. Some species and hybrids are used as a spices, some as medicinal plants, there are also those that are grown for decorative purposes.
The history of the use of Cistus
Cistus is not the discovery of the twenty-first or even the twentieth century, it was a plant used since ancient times not only for medicinal purposes. Mentions of czystku can be found in many old recipes and books with descriptions of medicinal plants. The first references appear as early as the fourth century BC. In ancient cleansing was used in the Middle East, North Africa and Southern Europe. It was used in two forms:
- Rockrose resin or labdanum – used traditionally as a treatment for chronic wounds and skin infections as well as incense and perfume component (today you can buy a partial resin in the Mediterranean countries). In the particulate resin often prepared dressings and ointments and tinctures. It was also a popular drug analgesic, expectorant used for colds and respiratory diseases.
- Infusion of Cistus is used as a beverage drunk during the day, as we now drink black tea, for therapeutic purposes has been used mainly for poisoning, as a means of regenerating and relaxing and for the treatment of liver and urinary tract.
Cistus plant is mainly known for its high levels of polyphenols, or antioxidants. What are antioxidants and why they are so important to our health? These are compounds that remove (sweep) called. free radicals. Free radicals have an adverse effect on our health because they oxidize proteins and lipids contribute to the development of many diseases:
- the development of chronic inflammation that contributes to the development of cancer, heart disease, arthritis, allergies,
- oxidation of LDL cholesterol (the so-called. bad cholesterol), which favors the development of atherosclerotic plaques which increase the risk of atherosclerosis.
In addition, polyphenols have a positive effect on the immune system, also inhibit the release of histamine, so they have antiallergic properties. Cleansing plant is safe to use, operating smoothly, while its use has not noticed side effects.
How can you use Cistus?
- The infusion of rockrose prepare pouring a glass of boiling water a tablespoon of dried herb, leave about 15 minutes, covered, preferably on a heater. At this time, we drain off. The infusion can be used every day (1 cup) as the prevention of lifestyle diseases, and source of antioxidants and strengthening the immune system, allergies can also be used daily cleansing (incidentally with conventional treatment). It can also be used in particular cases (3 cups), colds, influenza, respiratory diseases, as well as poisoning and inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Infusion of rockrose can also be administered administered to children with honey, the juice of chokeberry and raspberry.
- Tincture of rockrose prepare it from the dried herb – 150 grams purge pour alcohol at a concentration of about 60% (may be prepared from alcohol – 500ml of spirits and 315 ml of water) tincture can be used during seasonal infection or prophylactically daily low dose (2 tbsp 3 times per day).
- Mouthwash is prepared with the dried cissus, mint and with the addition of small amounts of alcohol. To prepare the liquid must be drawn up ¾ cup infusion of cistus (of tablespoons of dried herb) and 1/3 cup of mint infusion (tablesoon mint), and 1/3 cup of sage infusion (teaspoon of sage). Three infusions brew 20 minutes covered, then pour into a container and add a teaspoon of spirits or 3 teaspoons of vodka. We mix, store in a glass bottle. Cistus with prolonged use whitens teeth and acts as an astringent.
- Labdanum can buy during the trip to the countries of the Mediterranean, can be used topically to treat skin and aromatherapy.
Antioxidant activity and protective effect on DNA cleavage of extracts from Cistus incanus L. and Cistus monspeliensis L., Attaguile G., Russo A., Campisi A., Savoca F., Acquaviva R., Ragusa N., Vanella A. Cell Biology and Toxicology, 2000;16(2):83-90
Ocena wybranych wyróżników jakościowych czystka (róży skalnej) Cistus incanus L. J. Newerali-Guz, M. Erdman, Newerli-Guz J. Probl Hig Epidemiol 2015, 96 (3): 693-696
You can also read our encyclopedia of herbs: